Tuesday, November 4, 2008

These last few weeks have been significantly challenging. Among school, living situations, and the challenge of seeing my friends of to other countries, I have taken on a new endeavor: seeking out those who need help and attention the most. I am befriending prisoners.

It hasn't quite hit me yet. The impact that I am making on them-- or how they've influenced my life-- hasn't set in. I know it will, and don't get me wrong-- I want it to, but I feel indifferent when it comes to the timing. Is it better for me to reflect after my experience is completed, or should I bask in the reflection now, right when I'm in the midst of it? My head can't grasp it. I honestly don't understand what is going through my head when I meet with them.

Murderers, robbers, thieves-- I'm accepting them for who they want to be, not what they're known for. It's a crazy concept. It's challenging, but once my mindset reaches that forgiving point, there is no turning back. It's a good thing. At least I think it's a good thing.

No comments: