Thursday, November 20, 2008

I went to the jail again last night. It wasn't the same. And, unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever have the same open-minded naive attitude I had when I first walked in the doors two months ago.

Something inside of me changed. I think I finally reached the point where I, on my own, formed opinions on the prison system. I went in knowing nothing. But now-- within the last week-- it has all started to click. It's overwhelming, really.

-I don't look highly upon prisons.
-I understand that people need to serve their full allotted time, even if they do "learn their lesson," to be fair and withstand their promises. But on the other side, there are some men that should be let out.
-Measure 11 screwed a lot of people over.
-The security is great-- I give props to the people that have analyzed of all the possible loop-holes to get out and have taken appropriate action, even if it means going through security takes 30+ minutes. I have the patience.
-Treatment of the inmates, however, shouldn't be taken so harsh. Who gives them the right to beat another human being? I understand inmates have done something wrong to be placed in jail, but they shouldn't be mistreated. They deserve real food, no something that is 2 years expired or is labeled pigs feed. Humans, in general, deserve better than that.

I don't understand what gives the security that works with the inmates the right to treat them with such disrespect. If they don't do anything wrong, why treat them with such hatred? I must be missing something.

In class I talked more with Doug and Bob. They asked how the tour went. I didn't lie. I told them it was worse than I had expected. Doug asked if anyone hassled us. I said yes and went on to explain. He got very protective, asking me what their names were. He said he'd "take care of them." I laughed. I didn't know anyone's name, nor did I really look at their faces because I didn't know if they'd get offended. It's tough to know how to act in the general populations outside of our class-- do I look at them and smile, or do I not look at them because they are embarrassed. They have nowhere to hide. It's like they're forced to be around me. How do I show them respect? Oh, what to do?

No comments: