Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Today we brainstormed as a full class on what our project was to entail. We decided to create gift bags, and each of the five groups was to contribute. I first signed up for the "Truth or Consequences" advertisement, but later switched to the Resource Guide because I wanted more Inside guys in my group. I like working with them more.

I wish we had a class period to just sit and talk. I get the most out of the breaks-- I get to ask the guys any questions, and they are always answered. I want to know more about wrongful convictions. I want to know how one can get a retrial. I want to know how they get new jeans. I have so many questions, but feel bad distracting the group from our tasks, even if we are done.



Sometimes I forget they're in prison, that they're supposed to be punished. I ask them if they ever see movies, or any magazines. Why should they? I keep forgetting that prison isn't supposed to be (by society's standards) a fun place to get everything you want. It is supposed to be ruthless, boring, and challenging. I keep forgetting.

I told Doug how I was thinking about how many of them hadn't lived a real adult life. He was in jail when he was 20-- my current age-- and he still has about two more years to go. He says that's why he thinks he related to kids so well-- because he only has childhood memories, not adult. He hasn't lived an adult life. Doug is 36. He doesn't know what it's like to pay your rent or drive to work. Who is supposed to help him with that transition once he gets out?

No comments: